Sorry it has taken me so long to write again. I've been quite busy with school and socializing...but mostly with school. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the new curriculum and structure of the school system. So far I feel like I'm doing fairly well, and in now time will have it all figured out comfortably. My first three days of school went well, though, in good ol'Heather fashion I do have a coulple of stories.
First, the kids are really all very nice. They started off chatty, obviously trying to so how much they could get away with in the Canadian teacher's class. Well, one girl found out just how far she could go and I handed out my first detention - not just in England, but ever. She just wouldn't quit talking and start paying attention when I was trying to instruct the class. So now she and I will spend a lovely half and hour together on Monday:) Kids really need to realise that we don't want to give out detentions because that's my time that's being used up too! And, I just don't like it when kids make me punish them.
My other story is a little more embarassing, and the subject of many laughs this weekend. I'm sure you can all appreciate it. In my year ten class (Gr. 9 in Canada), I was going over their required couresework for the year. One of the assignments is an original piece of narrative writing, which had several subtopics. As I read through these I finally got their full, undivided attention when I read the topic, "A Personal Horror." All the faces in the room looked at me with shock. One girl raised her hand and said, "Excuse me Miss, what did you say?" I instantly realized that my accent had let me down in a rather unfortunate time and place. We Canadians, it seems, tend to be a little sloppy with our pronunciation, and the last syllable of the word 'horror' blends in with the rest of the word. I'm hoping that you all have realised what I told my students I wanted them to write a story about!! That's right, they heard me tell them to write about their very own "Personal Whore!" Just imagine my embarassment. We all had a good laugh and I was taught to say it properly - horr-ah, horr-ah (English accent remember.) I'm sure there will be many more of these in the future. I'll keep you all posted.
Fortunately, after my day of misspeaking and detention giving, I went into London to attend a fundraiser one of my housemates friends was throwing at a pub in Soho. I can't believe it, I actually partied in Soho. It was a really fun time. The people there were really friendly, and the pubs were absoluely packed - more than any place I've ever been to back home. So much fun!!
The rest of my weekend has been consumed with prepping for school next week. I'm actually procrastinating right now, and should really get some work done. Just a few more emails and I'll buckle down.
Talk to you again soon,
Heather
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Love the accent story Heather!! People think you have an accent now wait till you come home then we'll think you have a British accent. I hear that it rubs off you know.
I too love the "Horror" story. Glad your having fun with it and can laugh at yourself. Good luck with learning Proper English.
I love the "horror" story. I can just see your face turn red. I bet those kids all had a story to tell when they got home about the new Canadian teacher. LOL
Post a Comment